Come along and follow our journey of being what we think is Normal..... just a average family, following God's calling and a life blessed with Down Syndrome

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What to do to STOP nail biting???

My 4 1/2 yr old adopted from Colombia one year ago is a MAJOR nail biter. How do you stop it? She bites them so far back they bleed, and she even bites off parts of her skin. She does this to her toes as well!!! She usually does this when she is totally ingrossed into the TV, laying in her bed etc......I have tried putting hot sauce on them, in her mouth, taking toys away, using the STOP BITE for her nails (which she peels off ) AND even done the REVERSE method and tryed rewards....she doesnt do nail polish, she peels it off within NO time flat, doesnt care about special treats...nothing seems to matter to her ....she is in a daze .....so I am at a TOTAL LOSS!

What do you do? She said she does it just because......hhhmmmm....well how do you get her to stop. The other 3 get chocolate treat when Daddy get to pop pop their nails and Lily gets to sit at the table without her chocolate because she bites her nails....chocolate is one of her favorite things, and it doesn't seem to make her stop biting her nails.....


HElp!

2 nice people had this to say:

Cammie Heflin said...

Ok Rita, I speak from experience. I am also a nail biter. I have been my whole life. My mom tried everything! The ONLY thing that keeps me from doing it is fake nails! I suggested this to a mom of a 4 year old and she found some for little girls and it worked! She loved them because they were "pretty princess". They are just play but it was a motivator for her little one. Just a suggestion :)

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

I've heard of using hot sauce... not too much though because that's just mean! haha The fake nails are a good idea!