Come along and follow our journey of being what we think is Normal..... just a average family, following God's calling and a life blessed with Down Syndrome

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Handicap parking permit

Are your children with Down Syndrome handicapped? I dont think of my girls as having a disability but many do. I see them as our precious daughters that we would do anything for no matter what.....

The difficult part is this...
When I am alone and in a parking lot such as Walmart...they do not understand the danger of all the fast cars and trucks. They think it is fun and exciting to walk across the parking lot and NOT hold hands..however that is a major no no for us! If there is not a buggie anywhere near where i am parked i will hold Bella and make all the other girls hold hands and then ALSO hold a piece of my clothing, shirt tail, pocket or something...

We have a handicap parking permit to use now when i go out. I have had snide looks and comments said about my girls right basically as I walk by...I think its so sad! Why dont people see people with a disABILITY as the wonderful loving person they are? Growing up I didnt have many people around me with any type of disability...i didnt see them in school, church, in town or at any community functions....WHY???? Why not???? My girls go everywhere with us...the go out to eat, have playdates, go to church, the movies and anywhere else i go...

So I pray that having this handicap parking permit will help me out when I am alone (which is the majority of the time) Now my girls will be safer as we can now park closer to the store....

Anyone else out there have one for their children??

2 nice people had this to say:

Cammie Heflin said...

Yes Rita we have one for Addy. We got it initially because she was on O2 24/7 and her feeding pump 20 hours per day so it was an ordeal lugging her places! I only use it now because it's so cold and she has been sick. I've gotten looks but I don't feel guilty. Addy deserves the best care and if that means parking closer so she has less time outside I'm all for it!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

We had one temporarily when Kennedy was in her halo. Our doctor has offered to help us get one for her permanently should the need arise. Kennedy's not a runner (so far) so we don't need one, but I think it's a great resource to have and it's definitely ok to use it when you need it! I hate it that you're getting snide remarks! :(